Sunday, July 31, 2011

D&C Section Eighty Nine

What amazing revelation this is. At the time the Word of Wisdom was given, none of this was known by science. Some of it was known by experience, but for the most part, this went counter to what was practiced by everyone in that day. The Word of Wisdom has been pretty much relegated to the big four, coffee, tea, tobacco and alcohol. Drugs are now a part of it, and I think you could basically include all addictions at this point. The revelation tells us to eat fruit, berries, grains and herbs. It tells us to eat meat more sparingly. In those days, meat was eaten at every meal. Some take this to an extreme, focusing on one thing like herbs. For the most part, we ignore the overall message of eating healthy. For example, with grains, when I was eating well, including oatmeal and Mom's homemade bread for breakfast, my cholesterol dropped 60 points in just a few months. I felt stronger and had more energy than at anytime that I can remember. I have to confess I don't feel that way at this moment.

The Lord states that this is a principle with promise. The principle is eat healthy and take care of our bodies. They are miraculous gifts that we tend abuse every day. The promise is health, strength and increased intelligence and inspiration, and untimely death. A good verse to relate to this is 88:124, "... cease to sleep longer than is needful; retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and your minds may be invigorated." That's another one I need to improve on. I have no doubt that if we really applied this, we would be amazed at how much better we would feel, a lot of our excess weight would fall off, and our minds would be more alert.

No comments: