Monday, July 18, 2011

D&C Section Eighty Three

This section instructs the church that they have a responsibility to take care of the widow, children and others who are faithful members of the church but have no father or husband to take care of them. I like the wording that says they have right to make a claim of the church. The revelation uses the word maintenance which means financial support and according to President Kimball means spiritual support also. Enemies of the church who were once members have no claim. I can think of no other organization that takes care of its people like this church does. When I was a bishop, I saw first hand how generous the church was. I never felt restrictions concerning my judgment. The only restriction I had was when the amount I was writing a check for exceeded five thousand dollars I was to confer with the stake president. The best thing about the way the church helps the poor is how much it works to also maintain their dignity. In no way should a member ever feel humiliated or ashamed because they were accepting help. The church expects work in return wherever possible so that the assistance is earned. If you ever want to get an assurance that this church is inspired, do an in depth look at the welfare system.

No comments: