Monday, May 10, 2010

Mosiah 28

Concerning the sons of Mosiah, verse 4 states that "thus did Spirit of the Lord work upon them for they were the vilest of sinners." Regardless of our condition, whether were righteous or steeped in sin, the Lord never forgets us, never gives up on us and never ceases trying to bring us closer to a better life, one that is more meaningful, based on true principles, and more guided by the Spirit. When we are guided by the Spirit, we accomplish more, have more peace, and are more content and happy. We feel settled with our feet on solid ground and are comfortable with the direction our life is taking. President Joseph F. Smith said this about feeling the Spirit when it came upon him after his baptism, " The feeling that came upon me was that of pure peace, of love and of light. I felt in my soul that if I had sinned-and surely I was not without sin-that it had been forgiven me; that I was indeed cleansed from sin; my heart was touched, and I felt that I would not injure the smallest insect beneath my feet. I felt as if I wanted to do good everywhere to everybody and to every thing. I felt a newness of life, a newness of desire to do that which was right. There was not one particle of desire for evil left in my soul." Notice he says he isn't without sin, but that his sins our forgiven. I dislike the word perfection because it does not relate to people, only the Lord. We don't have to reach a state of perfection, be leading the perfect life, have the perfect attitude, or reach a state of perfect spirituality in order to be accepted by the Lord. We only need to be forgiven by him. Knowing we are forgiven comes even as we are imperfect. I think this is the greatest gift offered to us and the one most misunderstood. And this misunderstanding brings discouragement and feelings of failure where none is needed.

No comments: