Saturday, May 22, 2010

Alma 7

Alma crosses the river Sidon to preach to the people of Gideon. He's they are in the same state of wickedness as the people in Zarahemla but he must have literally rejoiced when he learned they are living righteously. As a result, his message to them is very different from what he said to the people in Zarahemla. Instead of condemnation and making them realize their sins and idol worship are going to cause the judgments of God to come upon them, he brings them a message of the Savior that focuses on his great mercy and love.

This is the chapter where we learn that the Savior suffered in every possible way that any person can suffer so that he can understand and care for each person. Regardless of where we are in life, whatever we are feeling physically, mentally, emotionally or spiritually, he understands perfectly. It's so much better to talk to someone who has gone through what we've gone through, felt what we've felt, hurt like we've hurt, because they understand and know exactly how we feel. Others can feel bad for us, but they don't really understand. It's like a mother who has gone through the pain of giving birth to a child. The husband can sympathize, but he will never know what it was like. Another mother knows exactly how it feels and can understand better how to care for the mother who has given birth. I think that verses 11-13 are some of the most important in the Book of Mormon.

Another verse that has had an impact on me is verse 15. I love the gentle urging when Alma says "... come and fear not, and lay aside every sin which easily doth beset you." Or, finally get rid of the sins that you have the hardest time overcoming. Later he says that whoever does this will have eternal life.

Verses 23--24 also are wonderful. You can sense both the Savior's, and Alma's, gentle of love for the people. He tells them, and us, to be humble, submissive and gentle, easy to be entreated (which means it's not hard for someone to ask something of us), full of patience, long-suffering, and temperate which I think means we're not extreme about anything. Then he tells us to not be afraid to pray and ask for whatever need; we just need to remember to give thanks to the Lord when he blesses us with answers to our prayers. Then he says if we have faith, hope, and charity, we will always abound in good works. To me that means our life will be filled with good. It will be satisfying, fulfilling and meaningful. At the end of each day, I ask myself if I've blessed anyone's life that day. Too often, I find that I went through the day just doing what I needed to do and thinking only of me. On the days, that I did do something good for someone, I sleep a lot better.

No comments: