Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Alma 10

Amulek tells the people that the only reason they haven't been destroyed is because of the righteous among them. If they cast the righteous people out, they will be destroyed. This is something that has happened historically many times with many civilizations.

Amulek is a wealthy and influential man who is apparently well known. He says he persisted in wickedness but he's obviously a good and righteous man who is like many of us. He's certainly like me in that he's preoccupied with other things to the point he doesn't hear and feel spiritual things as much as he should. He's involved with the thick of thin things. I wonder how often I have missed out on experiencing the promptings of the spirit, missed out on revelation, of a spiritual experience because my mind was so into things of the world that were of no consequence. It takes self discipline to keep the heart and mind in tune with the Spirit. I know the Spirit is a very sensitive being and his influence will not be felt if I am in the presence of any unrighteousness, or even in the midst of worldly things that are not necessarily bad, but just spiritually distracting. Since it is the Holy Ghost is the "still, small voice," it means that I have to be quiet in my mind and it helps to be at peace. When I'm in turmoil, anger, fear or anxiety, or other negative situations, I can't feel the Spirit, but if I'm prayerful, the fruits of the Spirit can be obtained if I allow the Spirit into my life. And the fruits of the Spirit are very desirable things such as peace, love, joy, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, and faith. I believe these fruits come from no other source. We may think they do, but if they are present, the Spirit is present also whether we are members of the church or not. The difference is having the Holy Ghost momentarily or having the Gift of the Holy Ghost so that we have his constant companionship. Another gift of the Spirit is prophecy and knowing that it's only five days until something big and important is going to happen.

No comments: