Saturday, May 1, 2010

Mosiah 21

The Lord often tries a person or a people to their very limits and/or lets them endure suffering to the point that tests them to their limits. When a person reaches the depths of their suffering, this is when they will turn most sincerely to the Lord and this is when he helps them. At that point, they know they cannot change their situation or their suffering without his help and when he gives it, they easily see his hand in their lives. This gives them an undoubting faith in him and it is clear that he is guiding them through the steps to end the suffering. During all those years that I was dealing with the opposition I had at work, I finally reached a point where mom and I just couldn't stand it any more. I walked outside one night and said, "Lord, I can't take this anymore." The next morning, my department chairman came in and said they were going to let me go. He fired me and that was about as low a point as I ever was in my life. It seemed there was nothing else I could do and only the Lord could me then. And it was from that point on the Lord entered in and everything began to come to light and even though it took a lot more years, I have come from being a person who was perceived as not deserving of being on the faculty to a position of success and respect. I have no conception of how badly the people of King Limhi suffered at the hands of the Lamanites and their three terrible defeats when they tried to free themselves, but I don't understand the terrible depths they finally reached. But at the point of their greatest suffering, they finally turned to the Lord and he brought Ammon to them and the Lord began the process of freeing them from the Lamanites and their suffering. He never abandons anyone and in some way, when they turn to him, he will free them from their burdens and suffering.

No comments: