Friday, May 22, 2009

Matthew 9 and 10

Here's what I was thinking about as I read these chapters.


Chapter 9

In Chapter 7, the Lord teaches that we should use righteous judgement.  Now in Chapter 9, he is judged as blasphemous, or  having a devil because of the miracles he performs.  But is most interesting to me is when he sits down to dinner with publicans and sinners, the Pharisees condemn him for being for it.  There's some irony here because they call him a sinner, but condemn for being among them.  Worse, the very ministers who should have been merciful to these types of people, and helping them, shun them, while the the false minister Christ, goes among them to heal them.


Chapter 10

One of the things I learn from this is that when you accept the gospel, it separates you from other people.  It is meant to do that.  We have to be prepared for the fact that others (including some in the church even) will look down upon us, think we are strange, naive, or whatever.  Those who look down upon disciples of Christ will one day look up with reverence and awe.  Right now, they don't understand and that's okay.  What's important is for us to remain firm in our discipleship.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I couldn't understand why the Savior told the blind men to not mention the healing to anyone. But as I think more on it, I think that personal witnesses and miracles, are meant to be personal. I think that the Savior heals us all in personal ways and the world does not need to know, nor will they understand.