Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Matthew 17 and 18


Chapter 18

On the Mount of Transfiguration, Peter, James and John received the priesthood keys from Elijah and Moses.  The Savior told them they should tell no man concerning what transpired there.  Joseph Smith said that this is because they received their endowment.  The three already had received the Mel. Priesthood.  This is similar to the restoration of the gospel.  Joseph and Oliver received the Mel. Priesthood and then later, in the Kirtland Temple, Moses and Elijah bestowed the priesthood keys on them.  Symbolically, I need to find my own mount, (the temple) and work towards being transfigured (changed) so I can better hear the voice of the Lord in my own life.  I know that going to the temple does change me for better each time I go.  It increases my faith and my understanding of my relationship with God.  I definitely need to be going more.


Chapter 19

I found three important lessons in this chapter.  1. Joseph Smith says that the hand or foot that offends and should be cut off is his friend, and the eye is members of his family and household, telling us we should be careful who we associate with.   2.  We need to always be sure we are loving children and leading them to be righteous because they are free from sin and the need to repent.   3.  We need to always be forgiving of others since the Savior is always forgiving us.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Garrett and I were just talking about how our associations can help make our choices, good or bad. He was teaching the young men a lesson on it Sunday. I think now more than ever you have to choose your friends wisely, for they can encourage you to make good choices or can help lead you down another path.