Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Matthew 15 and 16

These chapters have so much in them.  I hope I don't go on too much for you.  I think I will spend more time on 16 than 15.


Chapter 15

15: 8. I need to ask myself continually, where is my heart?  I may say and do right things, but is my heart in the right place?  Am I doing the things I do and say for the right reasons?  The Pharisees did everything "right" but were only interested in the traditions and doctrines they had set up because these increased their control over the people.  They purpose was to control their hearts and minds of the people.  So the Lord tells the 12 to beware of their doctrines in 16:12.  I think for us, we need to beware of the doctrines of the world that would desensitize us from feeling the Spirit, doing what is right, take us further from the Lord rather than closer.


16:13 and 15  President Faust said that this is the key questions for all us.  We should do all that we can to be able to answer like Peter does in verse 16.  Like Peter, the more time we spend with him, the more we come to know him and the promise is our Father in Heaven will reveal him unto us like just like he did to Peter.


16:18  Rock seems to be referring to two things, the Savior because he is the rock or stone of Israel, and revelation.  It's like he is saying, "Your name is Peter, or Petra in Greek, which means bedrock, but on 'this' rock ( the Savior himself) the church will be built.  Or you can say he is referring back to 17 and talking about the church being built on revelation.  This goes along with all the previous verses of following the commandments of God rather than the traditions of man.


16:24-28  Here is the challenge of the gospel and be sure and read the footnote of verse 24.  That's where happiness and fulfillment really lie.  If we are seeking to do that, we will keep things in perspective and the things of the world will not cloud our ability to see what's really important and what really matters.  In section 46 of the D&C, he blesses "those who love him and keep all of my commandments", AND those "that seeketh so to do."   So for me, it comes back to the question, "Where is my heart?"

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Lately I have been amazed at how easily, if we allow, we can become distracted and have cloudy vision. When I am striving to keep the right perspective I am amazed at how more optimistic and hopeful I become. I truly believe that the Lord blesses us when we do this, and gives us strategies to help increase our vision.