Saturday, September 5, 2009

Romans 7

This is a very a confusing chapter to read and I think that is the reason that you find the entire JST translation of the chapter in the appendix of the Bible. And the JST makes it so much easier to understand.

First Paul says that the Law of Moses is like a deceased husband. The wife is no longer bound to him when he is dead. In the King James version, Paul exclaims that he is a wretched man, battling the flesh and sin, struggling to overcome weaknesses. It reminds me of Nephi in 2 Nephi 4 saying "O wretched man that I am." But at the same time righteous Nephi says "I know in whom I have trusted." Paul and Nephi are obviously alike in this. They are great and righteous men who still who were able to conquer their personal weaknesses and enemies. The good thing about the JST is, is makes it clear that Paul was a carnal person when he lived under the Law of Moses, that the law did him no good. But the coming of Christ changed him. If he had lived righteously under the law, that was good. But even though he was under the law, he was still in sin. The King James version of this chapter presents a different Paul, one the contradicts the rest of Acts and his epistles. I’m grateful that rather than presenting Paul as a person still steeped in sin, the JST shows him to be someone who has overcome all because of the gospel.



The lesson for me is there are laws in the world that if I follow them, that is good. But they will not change me as a person in the same manner that the gospel can. The laws of the world do not help me to conquer my weaknesses, overcome temptation, and emerge a new man through the Savior. But through the Savior, I can overcome all things

No comments: