Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Alma 26

Among many, there are three things that stand out to me in this chapter at this time. One is, the importance of realizing how much the Lord can make of us and help us accomplish. Ammon says "I know I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak." The he says, "... for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold many might miracles we have wrought in this land." We should keep in mind that miracles are often easily explained away when we don't recognize their source.

The second thing is the question Ammon asks his brethren, "What natural man is there that knoweth these things? I say unto you none that knoweth these things save it be the penitent." A penitent person is one who sorrows for his wrong doing and changes. If we don't know something spiritual, that may be a key.

The third things is evidence to me of how the Lord loves and cares for every single person, and is especially aware of those who choose to follow him.. Ammon says the Lord is concerned for everyone, but he numbers those who choose to be his disciples, "We see that God is mindful of every people, whatsoever land they may be in; yea he numbereth his people, and his bowels of mercy are over all the earth." I think it is wrong to assume that God loves someone more because they are a member of his church. God loves all people perfectly and equally. I think what Ammon is saying is that God is aware of those who repent, who understand the sacrifice he made for them, and therefore chooses to bless them with blessings that are natural consequences for their actions.

No comments: