Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Alma 15

In this chapter we learn that Amulek has left everything to accompany Alma in his ministry. He was a wealthy man and verse 16 tells us that he forsook all his gold, silver and precious things. On top of that, all of his friends rejected him as well as his own father and family. The Savior taught that there would be men and women who would have to leave family to follow him. It is a sad thing that some people will distance themselves completely from someone who accepts the gospel and becomes a member of the church. The Lord said his gospel is like a two edged sword that divides truth from error. No one wants families to be united more than the Savior but he knew a price would be paid at times. This was especially true during his ministry where the division between a Jew and a Christian was extreme. But it holds true during our times as well. In Matthew he said, "Think not that I cam come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. I come to set a man at variance with his father and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. He that loveth his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me... and he that taketh not his cross and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it."

No comments: