Monday, June 8, 2009

Mark 9 and 10

Mark 9

Joseph Smith pointed out that Elias, who with Moses appeared to the Savior on the Mount of Transfiguration is John the Baptist.  This makes sense when you consider that in the restoration of the gospel to Joseph Smith, John the Baptist will first restore the Aaronic Priesthood.  Peter, James and John  are there and will restore the Melchizedek Priesthood, Moses will restore the keys for the gathering of Israel for missionary work, and Elijah who will restore the keys for the sealing power which will include work for the dead.


The 12 could not heal the man's son.  The son's father pleads with the Savior who tells him all things are possible to him that believeth.  Then the father says something I think we can all identify with, "I believe.  Help thou my unbelief."  I think all people are like the 12, everyone has spiritual gifts and faith, but we all have different gifts and we all different levels of faith.  The Savior didn't refuse to heal the man's son because of his lack of faith, he still had compassion and healed him.  The Savior told the 12 that only with prayer and fasting would they have enough faith to heal someone like that.  Then I think, how I well did I fast this past fast Sunday?  I'm definitely not developing my faith as well as I could.


The Joseph Smith translation of verses 43-50 is important and clarifying.  The Savior is saying to not associate with those around us who are wicked (symbolized by a foot or a hand, those who would help us).  The church should cast out those who would lead us astray (symbolized by an eye, those who should help us to see clearly).


Mark 10

Verses 1-12 remind me of how important marriage between a man and woman is.  It is an eternal relationship with an eternal purpose.  I remember being in stake disciplinary council where a man whose wife had divorced him continued to harass her after she remarried.  He was using verses 4-12 as an excuse to publicly call her an adulterer.  What he didn't realize is that according Jewish law, to put a wife away was to separate from her.  So if either of them remarried, that would be adultery because they weren't yet divorced.


I love how the Savior rebukes his disciples for not letting the children come to him.  If only the world could the message about how we should treat children.  And the inability of the rich young man to separate himself from his riches to follow the Savior makes me think I'm glad I'm not rich.  It would be nice, but  if I had tons of money, I have to wonder if would stay humble and not treat people differently who had less than me. I admire those who are rich and you wouldn't know it just by talking to them.  Of course, I could give it a try.


The 12 don't understand some things yet.  In verses 35-45 James and John want to sit on his right hand in the kingdom of God.  The Savior asks them if they are willing to go through what he is going to go through in the atonement and crucifixion because that is what earns the privilege of so exalted a position.  They say they are but do not realize what that really means.  Then he tells them they will each suffer death for his sake, but even so, only the Father could grant such a privilege.  Again, for the second or third time, he tells them that to become the greatest, they must be come the servant of all, just as he as left the Father's presence to serve and suffer for everyone.


Finally, I'm impressed with the man who had his sight restored by the Savior.  The Savior tells him he is healed because of his faith.  From that point on, the man follows him unlike others who were healed and then didn't.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Garrett and I were talking about how the 12 seemed to be rebuked a lot. I think that they were still learning, and developing their understanding. I think that we all can be rebuked in a sense. I liken it to being a parent disciplining a child. You know they understand, yet do they really fully understand. Your frustration as a parent is apparent and the child is simply still learning and growing.