Saturday, May 23, 2009

Matthew 11 and 12

I'm finding this is a great way to start my day.  I have always loved the New Testament.  Maybe because it's the story of Christ and those stories was what I was raised on in the Methodist Church.


Ch. 11

I like to combine verses 11 and 28-30.  One way I look at these is that the Savior is saying "John may be the greatest prophet ever born of women, or the greatest person ever born, but the least important of God's children is more important in my eyes.  And anyone who feels sad, is in sin, or is burdened in any way can come to me and I will comfort them.


Starting in verse 20, he condemns a lot of the cities that ring the Sea of Galilee.  The Sea of Galilee used to be ringed with cities.  Now only a few exist.  Most all of them disappeared some time after the death of Christ.


Ch. 12

The Savior created and gave the commandment to keep the Sabbath day holy.  Hmmm,  Maybe not a great idea to tell him what he can or can't do on the Sabbath.  I like the fact that he only asks us to keep it holy.  He doesn't tell us what we can or can't do.  He let's us make that judgement.


The Pharisees must have unbelievably wicked.  He heals people right before their eyes and all thing can think about is how to destroy him before he causes them to lose their power.


Verses 31-32.  The church used to teach that denying the Holy Ghost and murder were the two unforgivable sins.  Now they stick to the scriptures and and denying the Holy Ghost is the only unforgivable sin.  How many times in the Book of Mormon do Lamanites who murdered convert to the church including King Lamoni?

No comments: