Tuesday, August 9, 2011

D&C Section Ninety Three

This is another one of my favorite sections in the D&C. To me, it is fantastic and has doctrine that is so obviously revelation because we learn things that are found no where else in scripture. It also provides deeper insight into things that are alluded to but not fully explained in scripture. So I'm going to spend a couple of days on this section (maybe three!) before tying it all together. The first 18 verses of this section are part of a revelation that the apostle John received anciently. The purpose of all that we learn in this section is in verse 1 which says, "It shall come to pass that every soul who forsaketh his sins and cometh unto me, and calleth on my name, and obeyeth my voice, and keepeth my commandments, shall see my face and know that I am; And that I am the true light that lighteth every man that cometh into the world." And the purpose of this section is also contained in verse 19 where the Lord says, "I give you these sayings so you may understand and know how to worship and know what you worship, that you may come unto the father in my name, and in due time receive of his fulness." If you think about it, these are two incredible promises.

In verse one, it's important to remember that he doesn't say he that perfectly cometh to me, perfectly calleth on my hame, perfectly obeyeth my voice, and perfectly keep my commandments. What's important is that we are trying to do that, that we're willing to pay a price in effort. The two promises, "shall see my face" and "know that I am" can be fulfilled in at least two ways. One way is to physically see the Lord and know. The other is that we can see and know spiritually. These first 18 verses are also John's testimony of the Savior and how the Savior became equal with the Father in glory. He tells us that the Savior grew from grace to grace until he received a fulness of the Father's glory. The promise is that we can do the same. This promise and the former promise of knowing and seeing the Savior are tied together.

No comments: