Thursday, January 6, 2011

D&C Section Ten

In this revelation, the Lord reveals to the Joseph Smith that if he was to
re-translate what was lost, those holding the lost manuscript would come out
and say there were differences between what he had written before and what
he had translated the first time, so obviously he was just making it all up.
There is one rebuke that I think would have been especially sharp to Joseph.
Verse 9, "Therefore you delivered them up, yea, that which was sacred, unto
wickedness." There is so much inferred in that statement.

Long before Lehi left Jerusalem and Nephi began engraving the plates, the
Lord knew this would happen. So he instructed Nephi to make two sets of
plates, one small and one large. Nephi said he didn't know why he was
instructed to do this, but obeyed as he knew the Lord would have his
reasons. Joseph had been translating from the larger plates.

When Mormon was completing his abridgement of all the plates, he found the
small plates of Nephi. And like Nephi, he included them with his own record
not knowing why but knowing the the Lord wanted it for some wise purpose
known only to the Lord. In verses 3-7, Mormon says among other things, "I
shall take these (other) plates (of Nephi) and... put them with the
remainder of my record... And I do this for a wise purpose, for thus it
whispereth me, according to the workings of the Spirit of the Lord which is
in me. And now, I do not know all things; but the Lord knoweth all things
which are to come."

These other plates of Nephi, the Lord told Joseph, contain more of what the
Lord would want the people to know (v. 40) and throw greater views upon his
gospel (v. 45). I'm glad Joseph lost the manuscript. Otherwise, we
wouldn't have first and second Nephi.

With Section 10, Joseph receives the plates again and is told to translate
the small plates of Nephi rather than re-translate the large plates, and
then continue with the Book of Mosiah and King Benjamin's story.

One personal experience that I had with verse 37. As a new bishop, I had a
wife come in my first Sunday and accuse her husband of abusing her. He said
that every time they had a new bishop, she did this trying to embarrass him.
I had no experience with this and try as I might, I could not tell who was
telling the truth and who wasn't. The stake president interviewed them and
said the woman had mental problems and was lying.

I didn't feel that was right but didn't have the answer. I prayed and
prayed about it and then one day verse 37 hit me between the eyes. "But as
you cannot always judge the righteous, or as you cannot always tell the
wicked from the righteous, therefore I say unto you, hold your peace until I
shall see fit to make all things known unto the world concerning the
matter." So I did nothing and within a couple of months, it became obvious
that the husband was abusive and it became known to everyone else when after
being served a restraining order, he kidnapped the two children. I got a
call at 2 in the morning from him and he told me where he was, that he had
the kids with him and he was scared and didn't know what to do. I called
the police and then met him where he was. He was arrested and eventually
deported back to Ecuador. The does know all things from beginning to end.

No comments: