Saturday, November 20, 2010

3 Nephi 26

In Chapter 26, Mormon tells us that the Savior taught and explained all things to the people from the very beginning until the end of the world. Mormon says he cannot write a hundredth of what the Savior said. If we had the large plates of Nephi, we could learn much more of what he said. But Mormon tells us that we will not have these writings until we have proven faithful and believe what we have. Then Mormon says that the Savior loosened the tongues of the children and they spoke things that were even greater than what the Savior said. Even babies spoke and the words they spoke were so sacred that it was forbidden that they be written down. It says the 12 also heard and saw things which were so sacred that they forbidden to be written also. Then the Savior ascended into heaven for the second time.

I read this and think we only scratch the surface of what we have. There will come a time where if we are faithful, like the Nephites were in these chapters, that we'll receive all things. I think we will be astounded at both what we learn and at how little we knew. When I think about what I know about the gospel and what I grasp about the eternities, I feel like I know next to nothing. There are so many questions I have and I know there are answers to them and I look forward to the day when I can know. But I also know that I do not yet demonstrate to the Lord a deep enough desire to know. Things that are very sacred are not going to be laid before us until we would fully appreciate them. Otherwise, we would not understand them to the depth we should. Even here in third Nephi, the Lord spoke and then told the people to go and ponder what he had spoken because they were not ready for more. When they did, he gave them more and more until he explained everything related to this earth. Like anything in life, to obtain the greater things, we have to be willing to pay the price. So many want or think they should have certain blessings in this life, or that certain blessings will automatically come after this life. And yet, they are not willing to pay the price to even obtain some things in this life. How often have we felt resentment at co-workers who make more than us, or have higher position, and yet do not work as hard or pay the price that we do? This is an eternal principle and that is why such things bother us. I cannot hope for blessings now or after this life, just as I cannot hope for greater knowledge in this life, if I am not willing to pay the price and do what is necessary to obtain them.

No comments: