Wednesday, July 22, 2009

More on John 14

I wasn't able to do chapter 15 today because I had to take Grand Dad to the U of U hospital to have some skin cancer removed. So I will do that on Wednesday (except it's already Wednesday). I can't fall asleep tonight so I thought I would share some cross references I have with a verse in Chapter 14. I think they are very important for us to know and for our children to know because of the moral environment we live in today. I'm going to mostly summarize the verses, but I hope you take the time to read them in their entirety in the order below. We will start and end with the same verse. This may be a bit long, but I hope it's worth the read.

John 14:21, He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me...and I will love him and manifest myself to him.

Romans 8:1, There is no condemnation to them who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit

Romans 8:5-9, 13-14, They that are after the flesh, mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit [mind] the things of the Spirit. To be carnally (sexual, physical, things of the world) minded is death. To be Spiritually minded is life and peace. They that are in the flesh cannot please God. If ye live after the flesh, ye shall die (spiritually), but if you subdue the flesh through the Spirit, you will live. If you are led by the Spirit of God, you are his sons and daughters.

Galatians 5:22-26, The fruits of the Spirit are love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness. They that follow Christ (love and keep his commandments) have crucified the flesh with its passions and lusts (that are out of the bounds of the gospel). If you live in the Spirit, you will walk in the Spirit.

Galatians, 5:16-17, Walk in the Spirit and you will not fufill the lust of the flesh. The flesh and the Spirit fight against each other and if you follow the Spirit, you will not do the things that are of flesh that would destroy the Spirit in you.

Galatians 6:7-8, Don't be deceived, whatever you sow, that you will also reap. if you sow to the flesh, you will reap corruption in yourself. If you sow to the Spirit, you will reap life everlasting.

2 Samuel 22:20-25, David talks of how the Lord has delivered him because of the cleanness of his hands, because he has kept himself from iniquity, according to his righteousness and according to the cleanness of his eye sight. (If only he had continued on that path!)

1 Corinthians 9:27, I rigorously discipline (Hebrew translation) my body, and bring it into subjection...lest I should be a castaway.

D&C 62:1, The Lord knows and understands the weaknesses of man and how to succor (give timely aid) them that are tempted.

Moroni 10:32-33, Come unto Christ and deny yourself of all ungodliness...love God with all you heart, might, mind and strength...and you will be sanctified and will become holy, without spot.

D&C 67:10, Humble yourselves before me [and] the veil will be rent and you shall see me and know that I am - not with the carnal or natural mind, but with the spiritual [mind and heart].

D&C 93:1, It shall come to pass that every soul who forsaketh his sins and cometh unto me, and calleth on my name, and obeyeth my voice, and keepeth my commandments, shall see my face and know that I am.

John 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

No comments: