Saturday, December 4, 2010

Mormon 7

In chapter 7, Mormon gives us his last words and they are for the Lamanites of our day, the time when his record will go to them. Here is an outline of what he says to them. To me it is Mormon's last testimony to the people he is related to. He's telling the Lamanites of our day, the descendants of those who destroyed his people, those things he feels are of utmost importance to know. So in the chapter, he begins each statement with the word "know." I also like to read it with the word "I" inserted before each statement. This also gives to me a sense of his testimony. I've paraphrased his testimony in that way and then I try to say simply what each statement means to me.

1. [I] know that you are of the House of Israel, that you are people of the first covenant.

To me this means, he wants the Lamanites to know they have a sacred ancestry. The first covenant is the covenant that God made with Adam in the Garden of Eden and then later with Abraham. The elect are those, who because of their righteousness, are heirs to all that God has and are joint-heirs with Christ.

2. [I] know that you have to repent, be baptized with water and with fire or the Holy Ghost.

There is no other way but to conform your life to true principles and receive the ordinances of the Lord from those who have the authority of the Lord to perform those ordinances.

3. [I] know that you must lay down your weapons of war.

People who accept the gospel are peace loving, never aggressive. They enrich societies, not destroy them or impose their society upon them.

4. [I] know that you must come to a knowledge of your fathers.

I believe this no only means the prophets of the Old Testament, but Lehi and the prophets that descended from him.

5. [I] know that Jesus is the Christ, that he is the Son of God.

6. [I know you must] lay hold upon the gospel that will come to you through the Bible and the Book of Mormon. If you believe the Bible and understand it, you will believe the Book of Mormon and the other scripture that will come from the Gentiles. If you believe the Book of Mormon, then you will know the marvelous works that done by the power of God among your ancestors.

All scripture is truth and each volume testifies of the other. All scripture is in harmony and does not contradict itself. When read sincerely, all scripture will be accompanied by the witness of the Holy Ghost. This witness will not come, however, if the effort to learn is half-hearted or insincere. To approach scripture insincerly is to make light of the sacrifice made by the prophets, like Mormon, to write and bring the scripture forth. In the end, like Isaiah, Jeremiah, and other prophets, Mormon was killed for his testimony and his testimony deserves a serious consideration on our part. I think there will be a very special bond between Joseph Smith, Mormon and Moroni, who all died as a result of their efforts to bring forth the Book of Mormon in our day.

No comments: